Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Panic attacks.

I suffer from generalized anxiety disorder (among other things), though I don't like that it has a title, because that is not a disorder, it is life. I mean, who the hell doesn't have generalized anxiety? It's right up there with other BS diseases like restless leg syndrome and Lupus (it's never Lupus). And yet, the little DSM-IV code for "generalized anxiety disorder" shows up in the mail on all my medical bills, and I have a little bottle of oval peach-colored pills on hand at all times, at the ready for when my throat closes up and my breathing accelerates and I start sweating and my heart starts pounding and I get that weird feeling like I'm being physically restricted in a very claustrophobic way even though I'm out in the open and a metallic taste pops up in the back of my throat. This can happen at the strangest times. For example, when I saw the positive pregnancy test I just stared at it for a few minutes and then lit another cigarette. (Less reasonably, I then carried the test around in my bag with me for days, periodically checking on it to see if the cross had faded.) But for some reason, crossing 1st Ave into Alphabet City never fails to leave me choking on my own engorged heart which will have somehow resettled in the region of my throat.

Now that the seabass has signed a lease and set up his punching bag (I swear he's taking kickboxing lessons down there) in my uterus, I can't take my medicine anymore. I'm on a lot of meds, most of which my doctor has approved for use during my pregnancy. The anti-anxiety ones are the least important, in my mind, and luckily my attacks had been decreasing since the winter - from once or twice a week to once or twice a month. But in the last few weeks, they've started coming back, and in a whole new way. It happens late at night, when I'm alone with my Netflix Instaplay and my insomnia. The seabass will kick, and suddenly I will have vehemently changed my mind. Not in the whole boo-adoption way, but in the what-was-I-thinking-going-through-with-this-pregnancy way. And then I will start to wish violently that I were no longer pregnant, and that this was not my life, and that I had gone through with the abortion when I had the chance. Max Power and I probably wouldn't be together (if we even are "together" - I like my relationships complicated and impossible, clearly) but I'd be willing to trade that for a strong margarita, a whole lot of very high quality cocaine, and the assurance that I will not be responsible for the life of another human being for a very, very long time.

At these times, I start to cry uncontrollably. I get very uncomfortable in my own skin and I pace and sweat and bite my nails. And the fear wells up, the crippling fear that this will hobble me forever, that after the seabass is born I will never be able to stand up straight and look another human being in the eye. The shame of it all, and the guilt of all the years to come, years in which I will have a child but I will not be his mom, I will not nurture him at my breast or feed him his first solid food or see his first steps or yell at him to brush his teeth or tuck him into bed every night. I don't care about the differentiation of titles and what's appropriate and what's not - all I know in these moments is that something huge and momentous has plopped itself down on the tracks of my life and my train is speeding towards it with no idea what the impact will bring. All the while, my little bottle of pills looks at me and says, "sucker!"

Having been through more of my share of ridiculously traumatic experiences, mostly brought on by my own idiocy and wanderlust, I've had to deal with the anxiety fallout quite often. But this time, I don't have my two main support devices: my medicine, or my family. I know that my family is there, and supportive, but I just hate talking to them about my pregnancy. We all have a lot of complicated feelings about it, and it makes me feel super weird to open up to them about my emotions. I'm used to being overly reliant on my parents; they have literally walked me through every single crisis or semi-crisis I've encountered. But I don't think they can help me through this one. I just don't want their help on this one. I kind of wish that they would never have to know, that I could shield them from this horrible thing that I'm going to have to deal with, so that they neither have to watch me deal with it or deal with it themselves.

As for my sister... well, the two of us are very close. But she is being absolutely awful, and I'm worried that this experience is going to drive a serious wedge between us. She was the first one I told, and she's never stopped trying to urge me towards an abortion. She constantly belittles me about my choice, which she seems to think I made as a plea for attention. I know I may be oversimplifying, but her lack of support stings. A lot.

So instead of them, and instead of my pills, I've adopted some new techniques. Mostly these involve emailing bloggy friends and wailing until they cheer me up or suitably distract me. It is really nice to have that outlet, at least.

8 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhhh a Margarita! Wish I could meet ya at Gonzalez y Gonzalez for one!! Seriously... I wonder if your sister is upset because now there will be a baby that she will love and miss instead of just the idea of one, if you had gotten an abortion. I'm not a shrink but I have a sister who I am very close to and I know that how I might feel. Although not what you want her to act like right now, maybe this is how she's handling her own emotions.
    I also totally get that you want to do it on your own and you want to sheild you parents from this, but....that's what parents are for. Yours sound awesome, lean on them if you need to. If being strong by yourself is too hard at some points, go to them it's ok.
    Glad you do have an outlet. Email and wail away girl! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a comment completely composed and then changed my mind because I don't want you to think that I'm comparing my experiences to yours or my pain to yours or making you feel like yours is any less. They are very, very different, but I can't get it off my brain. So, here I go.

    Lia, I'm aching for you right now. My heart is slowing reopening its wounds, and the tears are finally falling. I know all too well the anticipation of losing a child and then actually losing one-not to adoption, but I remember those feelings very well. My heart breaks for you because I know that yours will forever be wounded. It will get harder before it gets better. I want to take it away from you, make it go away, but I know I can't.

    What gives me peace and comfort for you is knowing you will make it through. Whatever decisions you make along the way, you will survive. You will be the victor -- not the shame or the guilt. How do I know? I see your strength, your ability to fight off those demons that haunt you now. You may not feel strong, but it's only by walking through fire and by getting beaten to death by a hammer that we are shaped and stronger than we were before. You will do what's right for your little seabass.

    Hang in there! When you can't hang there any longer, let your friends (in cyberspace or face-to-face) and family lift you so you can hang on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have any good words. None. I'm sorry -- it sucks. I wish there were time machines. I'm sorry that you've been derailed this way and that you're in the midst of it now. I wish you could either go back in time or look in a magic mirror ten years from now to get some reassurance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just want to add a couple quick thoughts before running away to work. The first is that sometimes it is Lupus. Seriously I have several close relations that suffer from Lupus. Horrible, horrible, horrible disease. Right up there with Crohn's. But that's entirely beside the point. I actually don't know why I bothered to write that. Moving on. But I'll leave it. Because me being scatter brained might be funny. Maybe. Probably not. Moving on.

    I remember so well wanting to protect my family from the difficulties I've encountered. I've done untold amounts of damage to myself in the process. I've learned a simple and important lesson through all of it - in shielding a person from what is real I can only do damage to them and myself. Being deeply connected with what is real is often very difficult, the process of disillusionment painful, but is always better than being removed from truth. I'll take a difficult, painful truth over a pleasant fabrication any day of the week.

    I'm sorry your relationship with your sister is sucking right now. I could write a book about failed, painful, aching, sometimes okay, bait and switch relationships with siblings. That just flat out sucks. It sounds like she's not facing her pain, which she has and is genuine. Or if she is she's letting it put distance between the two of you. It's possible that may be necessary for her to deal with her stuff. It doesn't make it feel any better. I'm sorry you have to deal with that. It feels horrible.

    I could swear there was something else I was going to write but for the life of me I can't remember it. So I'll leave you with this: I hope you can find all the support you need and none that you don't. If you ever need "that-weird-guy" kind of support, my e-mail's on my profile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to echo what LeMira said: It will get harder before it gets better.

    But I promise, it will someday be better. You are wiser than you know in facing all of the hard stuff head-on, as well as accepting the idea that there is stuff you just won't know until it happens. I hope you are being cheered and/or distracted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lia I can absolutely relate to wanting to protect your family. I do it every day. I did it the whole time I was pregnant. I try to protect the two children that I am parenting from the sadness that I feel. I have no idea if it is working or not because I'm too afraid to talk to them about it. I'm afraid I won't be able to fix it. I don't talk to my mom either, not about the deep stuff. Or my sister for that matter. I don't tell anyone anything that might be too heavy for them. I don't want to place that burden on them because it's almost too much for me.

    But I did it. I shared my blog with a few close friends and it was like a weight being lifted. I realized that we can't all be alone in this. We need people to hold our hands in the dark, to light our way, to share our burdens. And, most of the time, they are glad to do it because they love us so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwww, sweetie, I have nothing I think would be comforting to contribute beyond letting you know that I am thinking of you and wishing you well. (Sure, I'm just an internet stranger, but...I hope you know your reaching out on the web IS making a difference.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear you. I have some Klonopin in the bathroom for my own panic attacks, although I haven't taken any in a long time--not because they're gone, but because I go from zero to hysterical about addiction just as quickly as anything else. Bleh.

    ReplyDelete

Seabass Eruption Countdown